Turnshoes

My first attempt at a proper turnshoe.  Basically a variation on the shoes worn in Europe and parts of Asia from the Iron Age (ca. 500 B.C.) through the early modern times (ca. 1700s).  This pair is made without a last (form) so construction is similar to other moccasin-type shoes.  There are quite a large number of early shoes found in archaeological contexts in Europe so many designs are known.  This is inspired by, but not slavish to, shoes found in the British Isles and Scandinavia in the early part of the last millennium.

I will probably bind the top edge but otherwise, the left foot is done.  Critique away!

Advertisements

About George Crawford

archaeologist, archer, primitive technologist, and wannabee musician ... mostly
This entry was posted in DIY, leather work, moccasins, shoes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Turnshoes

1. cms says:

I’ve been luking here on your blog and really enjoying the work on your Vardo and other projects. Beautiful work on these turnshoes!

2. kate says:

these are excellent. do you only make them for yourself, or to sell?

• paleotool says:

Thanks for the compliment! I have been making a real study of shoe making and trying to get good enough to make a bit of a business out of it. I used to make various types of moccasins and taught scouts and such. I have been making a bunch of ghillies too and teaching it as a simple shoe to learn on. You can probably see I have done quite a bit of leatherwork in the past and this is the newest direction. I would gladly consider making a pair for you if you are interested. I am in the process of setting up an Etsy store with PayPal to make things easier. Most everything I sell is face-to-face. This internet thing is pretty handy though.

• kate says:

i will definitely want a pair in the near future. i have a pair of handmade knee-hi eastern woodland indian mocs, but need a low shoe for when those are a bit much. i am getting funds together for the vardo right now, but will be in touch about this soon. thank-you!

• paleotool says:

Great! I am currently making a pair for another young lady. I’ll post them when I get them done.

3. et says:

Now I had to go look why it’s called a turnshoe. Learn something every day!

Yours looks very nice. My only concern is the strap/button – will it last as long as the shoe?

4. Pingback: Aspiring Cobbler | Cultivar/Cache